Home‎ > ‎

About the Grange Hall

The Whallonsburg Grange Hall was built by Grange PoH Chapter 954 in 1915. It was used for Grange functions and meetings for decades and is a part of the memories of people throughout the region who attended dances, weddings, receptions, suppers and other events here. From the mid-1980s, the Grange chapter had difficulty managing the costs of running and repairing the building. By the late 1990s, it was no longer in use and was shuttered. In 2006, a group of residents got together and developed a plan to save the Grange Hall. Ownership was transferred to the Town of Essex and a new chapter in its life began.
main hall
    The Grange Hall is now managed by the Whallonsburg Grange Hall, a 501(c)3 nonprofit through an agreement with the Town. Beginning in 2008, a hugely successful effort by volunteers from all over the Champlain Valley has been responsible for the restoration and renovation of this historic building into a NEW center for the community. Thousands of hours
ground floor
of volunteer labor were mobilized and tens of thousands of dollars were raised to install new electrical, plumbing and sanitary systems, build a community kitchen, install a state-of-the-art audio system and stage, renovate the ground floor into a multi-purpose dining room, and lots of other upgrades. 
Painted curtain from the 1930s now restored.

    The Grange is one of the "destinations" in the region for films sponsored by the Champlain Valley Film Series, concerts, plays, lectures, the Boquet River Theater Festival children's summer camp, and other community events. It is available for weddings, anniversary parties, family reunions and meetings and gatherings of all kinds.
    The certified commercial kitchen is available for food producers, canners, farms and community projects of all kinds. It is a comfortable and affordable event space for families and organizations to use. 
There is a bright future ahead for the Grange. Come be a part of it!



The Whallonsburg Grange Hall
Board of Directors, 2016
Andy Buchanan, President • David Reuther, Vice-President  • Clay Reaser, Treasurer • Mary-Nell Bockman • Sheera Broderick  Ted Cornell • Racey Henderson • Ken Hughes  Nancy Page • Sue Reaser • Kathy Reinhardt  Gretel Schueller • Caroline Thompson • Mark Walker • Jori Wekin 


Original Whallonsburg Grange chapter members around 1912.
This church was the first meeting place of the Grange.
It was destroyed in a fire in 1913 and the present Grange Hall
was built and dedicated in November 1915.
POH954
Grange Hall around 1930.
Hall

Annual Holiday Market

Public Meeting to discuss the oil trains in the Champlain Valley


Comments